August 16, 2015

Guardian Chronicles Heroes Painted

Pictured here are painted examples of the core set hero miniatures from Guardians Chronicles. These are not the replacement figures that backers received, but rather, the miniatures that anyone buying the game at retail will get (I think).


These languished on my painting table for quite a while. In retrospect I'm not sure why I punished myself with the task. Quite simply, they're bloody awful. While I was able to make them look somewhat respectable, it just wasn't worth the effort. The replacement figures are miles better, although admittedly still a disappointment from what was promised during the Kickstarter campaign. I'm uncertain as to whether the better figures are now being included with copies of the game. If they are I've not heard anything about it.

So, don't buy the game for the figures!

However, I quite enjoy the game and would suggest it to anyone looking for a one-vs-many superhero adventure game. The rules are a bit of a task to surmount, but if you can there is a good game in that box.

It's just a shame these figures are so poor. If you can believe it, the Kinoichi sister figures are actually worse...

4 comments:

styx said...

Sometimes you can't save crap. Still the work looks good.

Obsidian3D said...

They look ok from a distance which is fine I guess, but how the game producers ever thought these were ok really is beyond me.

I'm not sure when I'll get to painting the better figures and replacements. I'm inclined to wait until the final shipment arrived and do it all in one go.

pulpcitizen said...

Despite the short-comings of the casts, I think you have done a good job. :)

Obsidian3D said...

Much appreciated. They'll look fine for board gaming. The replacement figures will look much better. The real shame is that the quality promised in the campaign images was under delivered by such a big margin

The game is still worth playing however.