March 22, 2013

Sedition Wars: Figure Construction in Progress


I started putting figures together a week ago Sunday. The material is a little odd; it's not quite the same as the Mantic resin-plastic, and quite a bit different from the GW plastic. It cleans up fairly nicely with the back edge of a hobby knife, and any bent or twisted parts bounce back into place if dunked in hot water.

I dislike the injection points being on the shoulder joints on the male Samaritan troopers. They make it a bit of a bitch to get the right shoulder to line up with the arm piece. Most of mine are going to require a touch of green stuff to fill in. However, as mentioned with the hot water earlier, reposing figures is pretty easy. I've modified the arm positions on the scythe witches just by heating them and bending. It's not massive variety, but it helps a bit. I'm considering doing the same with some of the Samaritans and phase 1 revenants. Short of doing a bunch of knife work though, the Vanguard figures will not have a lot of variety when I'm finished with them.

After almost two weeks I've finally finished construction of the Strain figures. So far my favorite one is the Grendlr. It's well sculpted and is a really disgusting, scary piece of creature. I'll post up some photos of all the figures before I prime them. I'm aiming finish constructing the Vanguard figures over the upcoming weekend.

Sedition Wars is another Kickstarter game, which you probably already know. I pledged for the Biohazard level, and added a terrain pack and some of the extra figures. For what I paid, I got more figures than the starter for sixth edition of 40k...at about the same price. In the 40k box, all you get are the figures and the rules, but admittedly, the figures are much better to put together and have more variation that the Sedition Wars ones. However, there is no option for making the 40k figures more customized without a lot of work either.

I'm not disappointed in the product overall. The rules are playable and are a lot of fun with a willing opponent. I've had a chance to run through the first scenario of the "Outbreak Campaign" included in the core rule book. The figure sculpts are very good, just lacking in pose variety. My biggest complaint is the injection points on the Samaritans. I would much rather have had it on a shoulder pad or the bottom of a foot, rather than inside a shoulder socket. The basic Samaritan troopers will need some putty attention on those joints before I prime them.

As I mentioned, the material makes it fairly easy to repose arms or twist a torso a little, but the trooper poses are all two-hands-on-a-gun, so without some serious chopping up and refitting, you'll have a pretty generic looking army of minis.

I think once I get the rest of my figures and terrain in the second batch, the cost-to-product ratio is actually pretty good. Since it's technically a board game, and McVey's first one at that, I think the lack of pose variety can be forgiven here. Naturally I'm disappointed about the product suffering long delays but there's nothing can be done about that on my end.


2 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

Thanks for the review i'm not fond of this type of restic or plesin or whatever it is.

Obsidian3D said...

The ability to bend and repose the limbs does make it interesting, but not being able to file it can certainly be a bit of an issue.