August 09, 2012

Alpha Flight vs... Cthulhu?!

Well not really, although that is certainly a comic book I would pay to read. Over the weekend I finished several more 'clix conversions and thought I'd share them here. I'll start with the new Alpha Flight guys.

Puck

Shaman

Guardian

Shaman and Puck were very easy conversions. After removing them from the 'clix bases and gluing them on the 30mm ones I added an ink wash over their existing paint work. Puck required a little bit of touching up of the black on his uniform but that was it.

Guardian required a lot more work. I applied a very dilute grey wash over the white parts of his uniform, followed by a red wash over the rest. The skin on his face required repainting, as did the black lining around his eyes. Finally I touched up the outline of the red on his uniform and transplanted his flight base to a new 30mm size. I decided that the flight bases are worth keeping, as they both raise the figures up more dynamically, and allows indicating flight/grounded without a token in games of SuperSystem.

Since I already had a converted Sasquatch here's a gratuitous shot of the four members so far.

And as I promised, big scary monster time: Cthulhu.


This one turned out alright, but I'm not as happy with it as I'd hoped. I did two green washes on it, some dry brushing and a finishing gloss varnish to get it all shiny. It looks better than the original paint job, but after all the work probably not different enough to really wow me. I think the biggest thing I don't like about it is the base. I had a lot of trouble with it and I don't like the gravel next to the big rocks. I thought about putting some static grass on to cover it up, but decided it would just make it worse.

He'll likely serve as a Winged Nightmare in upcoming games of Strange Aeons.

4 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

Very cool, Love the winged nightmare. Nicework on the Clix figs

Obsidian3D said...

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to use the Cthulhu Avatar figure for, but someone over on Lead Adventure suggested a winged nightmare. So there it is. I doubt he'll see play any time soon though, none of the other players have lists that will let me field it. :(

10x28mm said...

That doesn't keep you from letting it sit on the edge of the table and menace them. Love the Alpha Flight - but um... no Northstar? No Aurora? Bring on the fairies!

Obsidian3D said...

Patience, cranky one, patience. Snowbird is almost finished, but I won't post her up until I finish her Wendigo alternate form. I have an Aurora and a few other in the queue, but I don't like the Northstar 'clix figure.

In the end I'm aiming for 10 characters:
Guardian, Vindicator, Sasquatch, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Marrina and Talisman.