April 29, 2007

What If the Name of This Post Was Not Useful?

I realize it's been a while since I posted anything up on here. I've been busy the last two weeks trying to get stuff ready for the show that was held in the Roundup Center today. I didn't have as much stuff as I wanted to, but I was able to put together four decent pinups and some preview pages of Nein. Thanks to Richard and Kevin from Out of Mind Studios for asking me along to take up space at their booth too!

There were a lot of cool guests from the comic, animation, tv and film industries. Since I was manning a table I didn't have a chance to meet many of them. I did speak with Gail Simone for a little while. She's a very friendly and personable lady, and I would strongly recommend reading some of her work. My personal favorite was the 6-issue "Villains United" series that ran last year. She said she'll be taking over the writing for Wonder Woman beginning on issue 13 as well, so that is definitely worth a look.

Unfortunately, in my rush to get ready and out the door this morning I forgot all of the items I had hoped to take along and get signed. The main two people I wanted to meet for that purpose were Bruce Timm and Paul Dini. As chance would have it Bruce Timm walked by our booth shortly before the show opened and I was able to stop him and chat briefly as well. He's a very gracious and affable guy, and it was very cool that he stopped to talk with me for a few minutes.

The show was pretty interesting, and there was a lot of foot traffic. The lineup for the doors was already a few dozen people deep an hour before the show opened, and the volume really didn't die down until around 3:30 in the afternoon. I didn't sell a lot of stuff, but quite a few people stopped by to offer me compliments on my work and show me samples of theirs. I offered critiques where I could, and drew a few sketches when requested. It's strange for me to sit there and draw something while the recipient watches over my work, but it was good practice as well. The first few I put out were definitely not the best, so I apologize to any of you who got those. After I got a little more comfortable though they seemed to flow a little better.

As I mentioned I had a few color prints of my work available for sale. The GIJoe picture featuring Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes was easily the most popular of the bunch. My favorite one, of Beta Ray Bill, didn't sell many copies but I didn't mind. It had a good time putting it together on Saturday and was really happy with the end result. To take a look at some web-sized version of my pinups, click the links at the bottom.

3 comments:

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

Best Beta Ray Bill EVER!

Obsidian3D said...

Hehe, thanks buddy!

Unknown said...

Loved your drawings! Beautiful signature!
I miss ours chats... :o(
Kisses... :o***